Sunday, February 9, 2014

A Daughter's Poem

Day 17: Domestic Violence Awareness Month

A POWERFUL POEM written by Shaniel's 14 year old daughter

There I was, in my room one night, overhearing the noise and holding my ears tight. I tried to sleep and before I snoozed, Tera came crying with some terrible news.

“Dads got a gun, and mom is yelling!” Then I sat up with a terrible feeling. I picked up the phone and tried to call, but all I got was a ringing sound.

Soon after that, the phone began to ring, it was dispatch telling us the routine. We then went out to see, a police officer guiding us through the scene.

Men were surrounding my house being sly, with big guns and armor and I was about to cry. We than sat in the car being worried sick, hoping that this will all pass over quick.

The officer had me call my grandma, he talked to her while I thought through this trauma. I kept telling my siblings that everything was fine, even though I knew it was a lie.

My grandparents and aunt came after 15 minutes or so, we then left while my grandma stayed to take my mom to her home. Once we arrived we made a bed, said a quick little prayer and I began to dread.

Once again I woke up to a noise, not of arguing but my grandpa's voice. He squeezed my hand and began to cry, I then asked him why, why, why.

He told me the news, the traumatizing news, that my parents are something I had to lose. My soul sunk deep, my heart was torn, my mother and father I now will mourn.

I screamed and pleaded with sorrow, thinking how I'll be able to handle tomorrow. My emotions went out of control, disbelief, anger, and confusion filled my soul.

My family came and held me tight, crying along all through the night. Later that morning more family arrived, tears filling their eyes and their sorrow thrived.

Lots of prayers and blessings were given that day, a lot of them not knowing what to say. Days, weeks and months have passed by, not a day they haven't crossed my mind.

Things are different now they've passed, but this change has given me a chance. A chance to be happier, to not be stressed, my life has certainly been blessed.

After this event I am positively sure, I can go through anything, strength I have endured. And even though their physically not here, I still feel their loving spirit near.


Written by Shaniel's daughter
October 17, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment